Chex Mix & Christmas Music
Y’all, we need to talk.
This has been bothering me for years, and it’s time for me to say something about it. I can’t understand why we only tend to bring this snack out around the holiday season. What is it that’s made us think that we have to eat bagged Chex mix for eleven months of the year and only bring out the amazing homemade kind once Christmas festivities begin?
And I’ll be honest–I’ve contributed to this problem myself. Until this year, I only made homemade Chex mix at Christmas time (because it’s the perfect holiday road trip snack!), but this year I decided to lay that habit to rest. I can proudly say that I’ve made this stuff not just once, but three times this year: once for Halloween, once for the day my cat got his rabies vaccination, and once this week to give us a break from all the Christmas cookies. I can also say that we haven’t let it last beyond 48 hours in our house any of those times. Perhaps my New Year’s resolution should be to make more Chex mix next year… It’s about time we start letting ourselves enjoy the good stuff all year long. Who’s with me?
And because I really care about your Chex mix baking experience, I’ll also provide you with this link to my Christmas playlist so you can listen to it while you bake. You can thank me later. I promise there’s no Mariah Carey, Frosty the Snowman, or Christmas Shoes to be found anywhere on this playlist, though I did have to throw in a little tune about my favorite Italian Christmas donkey at the end there… (You guys know about Dominick, right??) I really enjoyed throwing this little list together because it’s loaded with all the songs that I loved as a kid plus a few extras that have become meaningful to me over the years. If you need to give the radio Christmas music a break, just follow the link to my Spotify mix below.
I hope you’re having a merry & JOYFUL Christmas season, y’all.
“The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14 (NIV)
- 4 cups chex cereal, any variety (I used Aldi’s Rice Squares.)
- 2 cups cheese crackers (Again, I used Aldi’s brand.)
- 2 cups pretzels (You guessed it–Aldi. It’s cheap, y’all.)
- 1 cup cashews (Or your favorite nut variety.)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (Or less if you’re sensitive to spicy things.)
- Preheat oven to 250. Combine cereal, cheese crackers, pretzels, and nuts in a baking dish. I prefer to use a large casserole dish rather than a baking sheet so nothing spills over.
- Whisk melted butter, soy sauce, Worchestershire sauce, basil, and cayenne with a fork. Pour over the snack mix and gently combine with a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Let cool, and store in an airtight container.
If you try my Chex Mix recipe at home, I’d love to hear what you think! Share pictures with me on social media by tagging @thesavvyplate on Instagram or by mentioning my page The Savvy Plate Blog on Facebook!